In the present climate, it is a wonderful privilege to know how small changes and better lifestyle choices can improve life on earth for all its inhabitants. Zero waste living is not a passing trend on the Twitter feeds of the rich and famous, but an essential shift in perspective for everyone trying to reduce their carbon footprint. It’s an exciting time in the history of the world, where technological discoveries and daily advancements have the potential to make life better, for right now and for the sake of our progeny.
Global citizens are faced with a significant increase in global waste levels, too, and there is a call to action for every business and every individual to reduce and reuse wherever possible. How fantastic it is to think that your individual contribution can change the world! The first step is to consider how to live zero to low waste.
Why Reduce Waste?
The scale of global waste is unfathomable, with the world producing approximately 2 billion tonnes of waste each year. While efforts to recycle, upcycle, and reuse are becoming paramount for developed countries, most of our waste still ends up where it shouldn't be. An example is the large garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean. It is big enough to cover multiple countries. Plastic waste does not go away, in fact, it stays almost forever. This is why at Nezza Naturals we are reducing the impact of packaging on the environment by offering refills, packing in biodegradable bags, and switching to glass and aluminum packaging.
What Does it Mean to Live Zero-Waste?
Changing to a zero-waste lifestyle doesn’t happen overnight, as it requires serious commitment and dedication. The whole process may seem a little overwhelming and unachievable with most of our comforts wrapped in a convenient foil of plastic.
Don't be discouraged! This change can start small, such as using a reusable mug for a coffee from your favourite cafe. It may be better to begin by aiming for a low-waste lifestyle rather than zero-waste. Every small contribution is a big step in the right direction. After you get the hang of low waste, try for more ambitious goals!
Tips for Changing Your Waste Habits
- The global recycling initiative has slowly increased the number of plastic products being reused, resulting in the reduction of waste. However, there is still a considerable amount dumped in landfills and the ocean. A common misconception is that all types of plastics are recyclable. However, the truth is that most types can’t be recycled.
- Be aware of the items you are purchasing and their ethos when it comes to conservation, sustainability, and environmental awareness.
- Take a look around your house for sources of disposable plastic. Ask yourself if you really need all the plastic items and see if you can switch them out for a reusable option, or simply avoid it altogether.
- Buy food that is grown locally, without the need of commercial methods, to avoid chemicals being used to make it.
- Switch to packageless products, like our natural bar dish soap, shampoo bars and conditioner bars, to reduce packaging waste.
- Use reusable jars, tubs, bottles, and bags to hold things like liquids, dry goods, fruit and vegetables.
- Use tote shopping bags for that grocery trip. Keep them by the door or in the car for easy access.
The Refill Program and Jar Swap Initiative at Nezza Naturals
An effective way to reduce single-use plastics is by using a storage method that can be reused. At Nezza Naturals, we offer a unique program that allows our customers to bring in their empty bottles to be refilled in-store. See our full list of refillable products here.
Not only can you reduce waste by using a refillable bottle or by swapping your glass jar, but you can also save money with our 10 percent discount. The refill program includes products like bath soap, moisturizing lotions, and essential oils— all naturally made.
The effect of waste is a ticking time bomb, and we must play our part to clean the earth. By learning the three R’s, we can live a lifestyle of minimum waste. It is a long process, but by having a desire and reason to change, it is certainly achievable. The benefits of reducing may not be seen in an instant, but by doing our little part, we just may make the earth better for our future generations.
To find more tips on living zero-waste check us out on Facebook.
Got Questions? Give As a Shout!
If you have any questions about natural skin care for anyone, we are happy to help. Send your thoughts to email@example.com
Or visit our website at www.nezzanaturals.com for more essential oil information and DIY recipes.