Natural Skin Care Recipes
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Butter or Mango Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup light oil (like almond, jojoba, coconut)
- Optional: 10-30 drops of essential oils of your choice
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine all ingredients except essential oils.
- Bring to medium heat and stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Move to fridge and let cool another 1 hour or until starting to harden but still somewhat soft.
- Use a hand mixer to whip for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Return to fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid and use as you would regular lotion or body butter. If your home stays above 75 degrees, it may soften and need to be kept at the fridge, but it will stay whipped at a temperature lower than that.
Natural Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 3 parts coarse demerara sugar
- 1 part oil of your choice (coconut, jojoba, almond etc.)
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil or oil blend
- clean glass jar
- Combine your ingredients in your jar, stirring well to combine.
- Use your homemade sugar scrub to slough away dead skin and moisturize. Just scoop out a generous amount in the shower, and massage into your skin where you need it: knees, elbows, bottoms of feet, etc.
Tips & Tricks
- To scent your vehicle, cupboards or drawers, place a few drops of essential oil onto cotton balls and place in a corner.
- To freshen carpets or mattresses try mixing approx. 10 drops essential oil to 1 cup baking soda and sprinkle on - leave for 10-20mins before vacuuming.
- To scent towels and linens just add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cloth or dryer ball and place in your clothes dryer while drying.
- Lavender and Tea Tree are excellent oils for your first aid kit. They can both be used pure on the skin for minor cuts and burns, insect bites, rashes and more!
- Orange essential oil is an excellent solvent. Meaning it can remove adhesives such as glue, paint and will even help remove gum from hair! Helps to remove grease and residue very well and it non-toxic and smells amazing!
- Create your own massage oil by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to any carrier oil such as sweet almond, sunflower, avocado or coconut oil. Start with 20-30 drops per 100mL of carrier oil.
- Headache relief: apply a couple drops of diluted peppermint essential oil to the temples and back of the neck to help ease tension and migraine headaches.
- Create a custom scented candle by adding a few drops of essential oil to the melted wax of a burning candle - this will create the effect of a scented candle.